Saturday, April 14, 2007

KYSD

What is KYSD? It is an annual school activity of the University of the Philippines High School done on the later part of the school year. The acronym means: Know Your School Day. The objective of the activity is to give the students the chance to feel the joy, the pressure, and the thrill of being either a subject teacher, a clerk, or even a principal. I do not know how and when the idea of this activity all started, but I found this one very significant and enjoyable that a school year must not miss to have. That is what KYSD is all about-- an activity of utmost importance and fun.
When I was on my first year in this school, I did not expect that an activity like this KYSD existed. It was because there was no such activity like this that I had encountered when I was still in my elementary days. I got no idea about what this activity was all about. I needed an extensive explanation. At length I found myself fully understood the concept and aim of this KYSD. Being a shy type of a student, I had already imagined myself in front of my classmates while teaching them some lessons on my own words. I was shy to even dare myself on trying. It was as if I found it unbearable, especially that it was still my first year in that school and that I still have not known my classmates very well. What would they think of me? My imagination ran through the negative. Therefore, I decided not to apply for any position at all.
Now in this year I had already known my classmates very, very well. Do you think that I can now bear to stand in front of them and teach them the way our real teacher teach us? I can, but I decided not to. I was shy to even dare myself in trying. I left the application to the others and I found that there are many people that really wanted to try and take the challenge. Almost all the subjects that were taught there was an applicant-- in Math, in Physics, in English, etc.
I decided to be just a student. What I felt when I was taught by my classmate? I felt great. I found them very good in teaching. Their styles, though slightly different from our real teachers, were also effective. I learned a lot from them and I felt I made a wrong decision of not to try applying for a position. I felt it was a regretful decision. But there is no more next KYSD for me. This is my last year in High School.
Therefore, I recommend to whom this may concern,the students from the lower years, that you must try participating in this yearly activity.

No comments: